Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Altec History

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe I'm lazy......well, yes, I am.......but it seems to me that the world needs a good, in-depth, fact-filled account of the interesting Altec story. I know there exist bits and pieces all over the place, mostly on sites such as this. However, wouldn't it be great to have the facts in one volume?

    I would love to hear all the back stories and the essential facts on the classic speakers and components produced by Altec. I imagine that some of the original Altec crew is still out there and have some very interesting accounts.

    One day, this history will be lost unless it is written down and that would be a loss for the numerous audiophiles who have (or wish to have) Altec classics.

    I guess such an endeavor is just too time consuming. I suspect, however, that the contributing members of this board know A LOT of interesting facts. Maybe someone should interview you guys and do a documentary. Michael Moore are you reading this?

    Thanks for your consideration.

    John

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    An accurate and complete history of Altec (ERPI, All Technical Service, Altec Lansing, Altec, LTV-Ling-Altec, Altec Corporation, Altec Lansing of OKC, Altec Lansing as a part of Gulton, Mark IV, Greenwich Partners, Telex, and, lastly, the Sparkomatic connection) is being assembled as I write.

    R. David Read, a longtime friend of mine and many who have or are in the professional audio field, is putting together this work. Aided by extensive interviews, photo's from many sources, etc., it promises to be a really valuable piece of research for those in the audio world.

    It is still in the early-to-not-quite-so-early stages, but it IS an ongoing project.

    I'll let you know when the time for publication gets close.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member djnem's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2006
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi there,

    I got now a few pieces of transformers for my Altec 1612A and 1612B :

    1588B - Excellent for Mic but also great for electric Bass ans find the pick up sound. (i orderd 4 more)

    1588C - Excellent for Mic and also very goo for Bass to plug it in for a regular clean sound.

    15095A - Suppose to be the one for line input...

    15356A (Line Input) - i use it to plugg a DX (Oberheim)

    15356 - still did not find a use for this one. No good for regular mics or instruments, or line. Still looking.

    More feed back to come from the french guy...

    Well, i have 2 questions for you pro"s" guys.

    Do you know how to fix/set the vu meter on the 1612A ?

    Do you know how to get separate outputs on these machines ?
    I can't get to separate the signals... i'm so bad !

    Well thanks to all of you for giving me the opportunity to share info about my Altec products !

    One more thing :
    I found out the way to change a 1612A from 110V to 220V.
    I'll publish a pic soon.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member djnem's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2006
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oooops that's not where i wanted to post it

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Sounder,

    In Market share.

    The A-4, co-designed with John Hilliard, 1945 inaugurated the Voice of the Theatre series which kept Altec Lansing at the forefront of the motion picture exhibition industry until the mid-1980s.

    .......................................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.